I only recently discovered dates when I made these brownie bites and have been looking for other ways to use them. I wanted to make a fruity flapjack type dish, and I came up with this. It has a really nice autumn flavour to it with the apple and cinnamon.
- 125g porridge oats
- 65g wholemeal plain flour
- 65g wholemeal self raising flour
- 35g fructose sugar
- 125g butter or spread
- 40g dates, chopped
- 3 apples (chop them an bake in oven for 20 minutes before adding them to this recipe)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1) Preheat the oven to 200C and line a 10x15cm baking tin with greaseproof paper.
2) Mix together the porridge oats, wholemeal plain and self raising flour and the fructose sugar.
3) Crumble in the butter.
4) Stir until all mixed together.
5) Put half the mixture in the pan and flatten down.
6) Mix together the cooked apples, dates and spices and pour on top of the oaty mixture (leave about a 2cm gap around the edge).
7) Put the other half of the oaty mix on top of the fruit and flatten down again.
8) Bake for 25 minutes and leave to cool and then cut into squares.