I wrote a couple of months back that I was bored of having oats for breakfast. The trouble is, they are so cheap, easy to make and healthy, that I really want to still enjoy them – so I have been working on ways to still enjoy them and slow cooking them really make a difference. It made them really creamy and gave all the flavours a chance to really soak into the oats.
I made a big batch of this last night and it will last about 5 days for my husband and I and we will eat it as either breakfast, a snack or pre-workout fuel.
Ingredients – Serves 8:
– 280g/3 cups Oats
– 60g/ 1/3 cup pitted dates
– 1 tbsp vanilla
– 3 apples, peeled, cored and chopped finely
– 1 tbsp cinnamon
– 1.2 litre (1200ml)/40 US fl oz Milk (I used almond milk)
1) Put the dates and milk in a blender and blend to chop up the dates. If you don’t have a blender, just finely chop the dates.
2) Put everything into a slow cooker and stir. You will need a large slow cooker. If you have a small one, halve the ingredients.
3) Put the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Nutritional Information – per serving:
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy