This might be a bit of a bold statement, but last night I think I made the best thing I have ever tasted before – Chicken Tortilla Soup. It was amazing. It combined my love of burritos and soup in one big delicious bowl of tastiness.
It was spicy, but the perfect amount of spice, so you could still taste all the flavours.
It was the perfect amount of soup, as it still had lots of chunky filling, but enough liquid too.
It was just awesome. I think I need to calm down over this dish. If you make it, you will be like “Meh – it was okay”. I’m joking. I think you will most definitely think that there has been a void in your life without this dish. That is how I feel about it anyway, but I do have a tendency to get a little bit over excited by new dishes.
Anyway – enough chatting, you want the recipe, don’t you?
Ingredients – serves 2:
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (I know some of you don’t like canned tomatoes, so you can just chop a few tomatoes up instead if you want)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp chipotle flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 700ml/23 fl oz boiling water
- 200g/1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 lime
1) Grill the chicken and then shred with 2 forks and put to one side.
2) Cut the tortillas into strips and bake in the oven at 200C/400F for 10-12 minutes until crispy
3) Heat a little oil in a large pan and add the onion, peppers, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
4) Add the chicken, coriander/cilantro, jalapeños, hot water, tomatoes, beans, juice from the lime, paprika, chipotle, cumin and chilli sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Divide between 2 bowls and place strips of tortilla on top. Then add any toppings of your choice – we went with cheese, avocado and some more coriander/cilantro. Sour cream or yoghurt would go well too.
Nutritional Information – per person (without toppings of your choice):