If you have been following me on Facebook and Twitter recently, you will have noticed that a lot of my meals that I have been posting have been made up using whatever I have in the fridge and cupboard. Money is tight at the moment (as I am sure it is for everyone after Christmas) so I am making the most of what I have on hand, even the stuff right at the back of the cupboard, so I don’t have to go food shopping too often.
I had some ground turkey in the freezer and I always have dried beans, rice and tins of tomatoes in the cupboard, so this was very simple to put together and it was ready in under 30 minutes as well.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- 200g/7oz ground/minced turkey
- Half a teaspoon each of black pepper, crushed cloves, dried garlic, ground ginger, ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 140g/0.6 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 200g/1 cup cooked cannellini beans
- 1 red chilli
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander/cilantro
1) Add the rice and turmeric to some boiling water and simmer for 30 minutes.
2) In a large bowl, add the turkey and the spices and mix together and form into 5 mini meatballs.
3) When the rice only has 15 minutes left to cook, heat some oil in a large pan and add the meatballs. Cook for 15 minutes, turning regularly.
4) Put the red pepper, onion, chilli and tomato into a food processor and blend until chunky.
5) Add the sauce and the cooked beans to the pan of meatballs 5 minutes before they are cooked and gently simmer.
6) Drain the rice and add the juice of the lime and serve with the meatballs. Sprinkle the coriander on top.
Nutritional Information – per person:
Make sure you are following me on the following:
Instagram: Search the username hungryhealthyhappy