A classic Christmas treat, lightened up by using whole wheat flour and halving the butter and using yogurt.
- 175g Whole wheat Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- Half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 50g Butter
- 25g Low Fat yogurt
- Half a beaten egg
- 2tbsp golden syrup
1) Put the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
2) Crumble in the butter, add the yogurt and stir until it forms a ball.
3) On a floured surface, roll out the dough until about 5mm thick.
4) Using a cutter (preferably a Christmas one), cut out shapes. Should make around 10 biscuits. Any extra dough after cutting out shapes, I just rolled into balls and they turned out nice and cakey.
5) Put on a baking tray covered in greaseproof paper and space them out, as they will expand.
6) Bake at 190C for 15 minutes. Only to firm for a couple of minutes and then transfer onto a wire rack.
7) This step is optional, but makes them taste even better. Melt some dark chocolate and dip half of the gingerbread in the chocolate and allow to set.