Today is the end of our long weekend and I am not at all happy about it. The weekend has gone really slowly, which makes a change, and I am not wanting it to end. I am going to visit family tomorrow for a couple of nights, and whilst I am VERY excited to meet my niece for the first time, I haven’t been away from my husband for more than 12 hours in a year. I am capable of functioning without him, but it still doesn’t mean I like being away from him. Good job I have a crazy busy couple of days whilst I am away, so it will go quickly. Being away from home and in other people’s houses always makes it a little more difficult to stick to my eating plan, but I WILL do it!
The weather was beautiful here again today, so we ate all 3 main meals out in the garden – I am not sure I have ever done that before. We wanted something light for dinner, so I made some fishcakes. I have been wanting to try them out with sweet potatoes for a while, so that is what I did. They were really good and you could make them with any fish that you have on hand, or that is on offer that week. We went with haddock today, but I will do salmon next time. They are also oven baked as well, so much healthier than the fried kind you get in restaurants.
Ingredients – serves 2:
- 1 large fillet of fish (I used haddock)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- Half a tsp chopped red chilli (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Breadcrumbs made from 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 tbsp plain whole wheat flour
1) Cook the fish fillet according to instructions and flake.
2) Cook the sweet potatoes and then mash them.
3) Put the fish and sweet potato in a large bowl with the milk, parsley, lemon, chilli and salt and pepper. Stir and leave to cool.
4) Form into 4 fish cakes and put on a plate and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5) Dip each fishcake in the flour, then beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs so they are coated.
6) Bake at 200C/390F for 40 minutes, until crispy.
Of course we had our other dinner companion at the table, or cat Chilli. He is not allowed on the table, but does that stop him? No! When there is fish on a plate, nothing will stop him!
I am off to pack now and I have no idea what I need to take. Do I need more or less and 3 pairs of shoes for 2 days?