Right, stick with me here. I have always been experimenting with a healthy brownie, as I love brownies so much. I made these no bake brownies, but I wanted something with a bit more of a brownie consistency. I have been reading up a lot about using beans in cooking. There, I said it. BEANS!! Please don’t stop reading here. At least read till the end and give it a try, what do you have to lose?
When you blend dark beans, they get a powdery bean consistency that works well in cake mixture. There is no bean taste what so ever. I know you are probably sitting there thinking Really? But trust me. Give it a try. They do taste quite banana like, but this is because banana is used to sweeten it.
I will say again, give it a try, it will surprise you!
- 1 400g can of pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tbsp coffee
- 1 tsp ginger or cinnamon (whatever your preference is)
- 60g cocoa powder
- 2tbsp almond butter
- 2 bananas
- 2tbsp honey
- 6 dates, chopped
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 20g oats
- 80g apple puree
1) Spray a brownie pan with spray oil and preheat your oven to 170C/350F/Gas Mark 4
2) Put everything expect the oats in a blender and blend until smooth.
3) Stir and add the oats and stir again.
4) Pour into the brownie pan and bake for 50 minutes, until a knife come out clean.
5) Serve with some low fat yogurt.
DON’T be put off by the beans in it…at least give it a try! It’s a chocolate brownie that is much healthier than the average one!!