As part of Tesco’s Love Every Mouthful campaign, they took a survey to find out what the people’s favourite dish was and Manchester voted on a classic roast dinner and I can’t blame them really. Sure, there are so many other amazing meals out there but nothing reminds you of the comforts of home like a roast chicken and crispy potatoes on a plate piled with vegetables. However, when Manchester were voting on their favourite dish, I don’t think this is the roast dinner they had in mind, but hopefully they would give it a try.
This isn’t your average roast chicken, which would normally only be seasoned with some salt and pepper and maybe some lemon and thyme. This chicken is glazed in a sticky Asian sauce that gives it so much more flavour. It may not be traditional, but it is certainly tasty. It has sweetness from the honey and loads of flavour from the ginger and garlic. It will definitely liven up your usual Sunday roast.
The honey makes the skin of the chicken brown and crispy, but it is not burnt, that is just the glaze.
Ingredients – Serves 4:
– 6.5 tbsp clear honey
– 5 tbsp soy sauce
– 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
– 6 garlic cloves, crushed
– 5 tbsp rice wine
– 1 x 1.4kg chicken
– 1kg/2lb/900g/4 cups charlotte potatoes, halved
– 2 lemons, thinley sliced
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 200g (7oz) tenderstem broccoli
1) Preheat your oven to 200C/390F
2) In a pan, combine the honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and rice wine and boil for 5 minutes until it is thick and sticky.
3) Put the chicken in a shallow baking tin and brush with half of the glaze. Roast for 50 minutes and then coat with the remaining glaze and return to the oven for 40 minutes, until cooked through and the juices run clear.
4) In a roasting tin, mix the potatoes with the oil and lemon slices and add some sea salt and black pepper. Put in the oven when the chicken goes back in the oven for the last 40 minutes.
5) Boil the broccoli for 3 minutes before serving.
The chicken will serve 6, but only 4 portions are used for this, so you will have leftovers (great in a sandwich or salad the next day). I have adjusted the calories for this, so the calories are just for 1 portion of chicken, 1 portion of potatoes and broccoli.
Nutritional Information – Per person:
Get the RSS feed here
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.
*The ingredients for this meal were provided for free*