One of my favourite lunches at the moment is lettuce wraps. I just throw in whatever I have as leftovers or that needs to be used up in the fridge and it is always delicious. Using lettuce instead of a flour wrap is also good for those days that your other meals are carb heavy and you want to have a carb light lunch. They also make a healthy snack as this recipe is under 200 calories. I would usually have it as a snack, or have a soup with it too.
You can literally put anything you want in them. I first started using lettuce as a wrap for Mexican dishes and then thought “why not use it in replace of a wrap for lunch too?” If you are a vegetarian, just add more vegetables or beans, if you eat fish, salmon or mackerel are good additions. If you are a meat eater, then try adding leftover chilli or maybe some chopped up meatballs.
These wraps are creamy tuna and a tomato, chilli and garlic chicken. Not mixed together – I had 2 creamy tuna ones and one chicken one as that was how I used up my leftovers.
Get creative with it, change the meat/vegetables and make different sauces and dressings. I think this would be good to serve as a healthy option at a garden party. Have bowls of different fillings and let people make their own wraps. You can use different types of lettuce too – I have used iceberg here, but I also use romaine which holds together well. The same works with cabbage, kale and collard greens.
Ingredients – Serves 1:
- 2 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Half a carrot, shredded
- Quarter a courgette (zuchinni), shredded
- Half a tin of tuna
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Splash of cider vinegar
- 1 iceberg lettuce leaf
- 2 tbsp shredded cooked chicken breast
- Half a carrot, shredded
- Quarter a courgette, shredded
- Half tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp tomato puree/paste
- splash of cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crush
- pinch of chilli flakes
1) To make the tuna wraps, mix together the tuna, vinegar and Greek yoghurt (you can use mayo or avocado if you don’t like Greek yoghurt, but that will change the nutritional info) and put in a lettuce wrap with the carrot and courgette.
2) To make the chicken wrap, stir together the Greek yoghurt, tomato puree, vinegar, garlic and chilli and mix in the shredded chicken. Put in a lettuce wrap with some carrot and courgette.
3) Top all the wraps with a little sea salt and black pepper.
What is your favourite sandwich filling? Leave a comment below.
Nutritional Information – Per person:
Get the RSS feed here
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.