This might seem a bit out of season as when you think of coleslaw, you think of summer and BBQs, but this side dish can (and should) be eaten at any time of the year. Just because it is Mexican, doesn’t mean it should only go with Mexican dishes. I have mixed this into a chicken salad, as well as put on top of a burger and it is delicious every way.
Although I like coleslaw, I find the mayonnaise way too overpowering. I prefer coleslaw that has a vinegar base, rather than just creamy as I think it allows for the other flavours to come through.
Ingredients – Serves 4:
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 400g/ 5 cups white cabbage
- 4 spring onions (scallions), finely slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- A pinch of salt and pepper
1) Shred the carrot and white cabbage and put in a large bowl.
2) Add the rest of the ingredients and mix and leave for 30 minutes before serving. Mix once again before serving.
Follow Me for more healthy food ideas:
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy
Hungry For More? Here are some posts you might like...
- Salsa Picante
- Slow Cooked Lime and Coriander (Cilantro) Chicken Tacos
- Pico De Gallo
- Mexican Pizza
- Slow Cooked Shredded Beef