If you enjoy Paella, then you will love this Indonesian version that has a bit of a kick to it. Brown rice and eggs are a staple in our house as they are cheap and healthy, so add a few slightly more expensive ingredients and you have yourself a really good meal, that would be perfect at a dinner party as well. You can prepare most of it ahead of time, so it is easy to make once your guests have arrived too.
I had the leftovers for lunch the next day and, if possible, it tasted even better. I think all the spices had time to mix together.
Ingredients – Serves 3:
- 3/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 100g/1 cup almonds
- thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- juice of 1 lime
- Splash of milk
-150g/0.75 cup brown rice
- 2 handfuls of green beans
- 1 pre-cooked chicken breast (chopped into strips)
-200g/1.5 cup cooked prawns
-200ml/6.7 fl oz cold water
1) Boil the rice until cooked. Drain and put to the side.
2) Make an omelette with the eggs and milk. Once cooked, put to the side for later.
3) Put all paste ingredients in a pestle & mortar or food processor and combine until a paste. It doesn’t need to be completely smooth.
4) Chop onions and mushrooms and lightly fry until golden brown.
5) Add the paste to the onions and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
6) Add the rice and water and continue to cook until the water has reduced
7) Add the chicken and prawns.
8) Cook the green beans and add.
9) Slice the omelette into 2×1 inch pieces and add.