A lot of people have not heard of quinoa before, but you are really missing out if you have not tried it yet. It is considered a grain, and is used as such, but it is actually from the spinach family. You can find it with the couscous and bulgar wheat in your supermarket and it makes a great alternative to those, as well as rice. It is high in protein and delicious. It has an almost nutty texture and taste and it takes on the flavour of herbs and spices really well.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
– 80g/ 0.5 cup uncooked quinoa (I use a mixture of white and red)
– 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
– 2 sticks of celery, chopped
– Half a cucumber, diced
– 2 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
– Half a red onion, diced
– 50g/1.5oz feta cheese, crumbled
– Half an avocado, cut into chunks
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 2 tbsp sumac
1) Pour enough boiling water to cover the quinoa in a pan and simmer for 15 minutes, adding more water if needed and then drain.
2) Mix everything together in a bowl.
Nutritional Information – Per person:
Get the RSS feed here
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.