Continuing on with my quest to create Mexican dishes that are a little different from the usual, I came up with spinach and feta tacos. I guess they are a little out of season, as with them being so light and fresh they would be ideal for the summer, but don’t let that put you off from making them now. Bring a bit of summer into your life by making them.
I have also made these with kale and cabbage in replace of the spinach before and it works just as well. Adapt recipes to suit your own taste.
The great thing about cheese like feta is that because of the strong taste, you don’t need much of it. So although the cheese itself isn’t really any healthier, you can use less of it, meaning less calories and fat.
These tacos go really well with this Mexican coleslaw.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- 6 soft tacos (you can use my tortilla recipe, just roll them smaller – calorie info is for homemade soft tacos)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 handfuls of spinach
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 tbsp cooked pinto beans
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Half a tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- Half an avocado, diced
- 40g/ 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1) Heat a little oil in a large pan and add the onion, red pepper and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, until softened.
2) Add the beans and the paprika, cumin, cayenne and coriander (cilantro) and cook for 2 minutes.
3) Add the spinach and juice from the lime and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4) Divide between the soft tacos and then top each one with some tomato, avocado and feta cheese.
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy