This is the first recipe of 2013, so why not make it a vegan one?! I am certainly not going vegan – I have tried before and it just wasn’t for me, but I can definitely see the benefits of eating vegan and vegetarian meals a couple of times a week.
It almost feels strange getting into a routine of cooking proper meals again, after having a couple of weeks of a lot of leftovers and party food and way too much snacking. I must say, I am enjoying real meals that are full of vegetables.
This might seem a bit carb heavy, but it was perfect for us yesterday and we really pushed ourselves in the gym, so we needed something like this. Instead of sweet potato, you could use butternut squash and if you didn’t want the tortilla, you could use lettuce wraps instead – this recipe is really easy to adapt.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp cooked black beans (I take these from my weekly food prep)
- 2 handfuls of kale/spinach/cabbage
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- Half a red onion
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
1) Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes and mix with a little olive oil, the garlic, chilli and paprika and mix together. Put on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 220C/400F for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
2) Cook the spinach/kale/cabbage in boiling water for 2 minutes, just to soften it and then drain.
3) Make the avocado salsa by dicing the avocado, tomato and red onion and adding the juice from the lime and the coriander.
4) Make your tacos by adding some of your spinach/kale/cabbage to your tortilla, top with some beans, some sweet potato and then some salsa.
5) Serve with salad.
Fat: 17 (from the avocado)