Seeing as this blog is about finding happiness as well as health, I thought it was about time I wrote down some of the things that make me happy. You may have seen my post about happiness being finding balance in my life and that is definitely true – but there are also lots of every day things that make me happy too.
Things that make me happy:
It is the small things in life that make me happy. I don’t need a huge house, lots of money and all those other things that the media leads us to believe that we need to be happy. As well as my health, I just need the little things that make me smile and make my world that little bit better every day (or once in a while).
- Sunsets – they are just relaxing.
- Breakfast in bed – when so many of us have a strict schedule and an exact time we get up every morning for a workout or to head straight to work, setting our alarms that little bit later (or not at all) and enjoying breakfast in bed with either your partner, pet or just a good book is a little luxury we should all indulge in once in a while.
- Seeing my husband happy. This does not need explaining – it just makes me happy.
- Peanut butter – with just a spoon, on toast, in a smoothie. On absolutely anything.
- A bubble bath – this is definitely a rare indulgence. If I am in water, then I am either swimming for a workout or grabbing a quick shower after a workout. It is not often that I run a bath, pour in some lavender oil and just sit and relax. But when I do, I make the most of it and don’t come out until my fingers are wrinkly.
- Hugs –who doesn’t like hugs?!
- Hot coffee on a cold day – a huge mug of coffee (preferably a latte) to keep you warm.
- Getting lost in a book – I am not really much of a reader. I know. I know. But I love it when a book gets me really hooked. Whether it is something educational and I feel like I am learning something new and amazing every page, or a trashy chick-lit book, I just love not wanting to put it down.
- Big jumpers – the fluffy ones that you can get completely inside. If you chose to. Not that I would.
- Napping – some people say they are a waste of time, but I think they are sometimes much needed. Snuggling in bed in the afternoon (especially when it is cold outside) is the perfect way to recharge. My husband has a theory that we have a certain amount of awake hours in our life. So, by napping, we are actually extending the amount of days we are alive. He has quite clearly made this theory up as an excuse to have a sneaky nap.
- Post workout energy – I love that feeling after getting out of the gym. Despite having given it everything I have and feeling tired, I get a burst of energy and I feel accomplished.
- Celebrating the little things – we all celebrate the usual things like birthdays, religious holidays, national sandwich day etc, but what about all the great things we do every day? I like to celebrate those. Like completing all of the things on my to do list for a day. That is definitely a reason to celebrate.
- Autumn – the crisp air, the crunchy leaves, the boots and big jumpers. I love it all!
- Proving myself wrong – proving other people wrong is one thing, but sometimes (most of the time) we can be our worst critic. I tell myself I can’t do things all the time. Like I can’t run any further, or I can’t avoid eating that cupcake. When I prove myself wrong, it is better than proving anyone else wrong, as my own opinion is the only one I truly care about.
- My cat just being a cat – if you are a pet owner (owner is a strange way of putting it, as we all know that they own us, not the other way round), then you know that they are much more entertaining than TV. Everyone thinks that their cat/dog does these hilarious things that no-one else’s does, but they all do crazy thing. No, but seriously. My cat DOES do things that no one else’s does :p
- Doing things now, instead of “one day”. There are so many things that we say we will do or try one day. Well, I like to work on doing as many of them now as I can, as we never know how many days we have left. That wasn’t meant to be as depressing as it sounds. I just mean – live in the moment, as who knows when the moment will end. Okay…that was still depressing. Here is a picture of my cat to cheer you up!
Yes, that is my cat laying on one kettle bell and cuddling another one. That can’t be comfy.
- New music. There is something about getting lost in a song that I love so much and I am always discovering new bands to do that with. That is why I love working at Guitar Cafe – I get to listen to so much new music.
- Getting a text from someone just to say hello – we all lead such busy lives, but getting a text from someone that shows they are thinking of you is pretty awesome. As long as you know them of course, and it is not in a creepy stalker way.
- Getting a “in joke” gift. You know, the one that only the person giving it to you and you understands. If you gave it to anyone else, they would think you are nuts!
- Freshly washed sheets. Oh, that smells is SO good.
- My beautiful Niece. She has the cutest nose I have ever seen.
This post was only meant to be 10 things, but it turns out that there are a lot of little things that make me happy. What can I say – I am a pretty happy person.
What are the little every day things that make you happy? Come and tell me on the Facebook page!