I am not the first to say this, and I won’t be the last, but green tea is amazing, especially for weight loss as it boosts your metabolism and your immune system. Of course, it is not some super drink that means you can eat whatever you like and sit on the sofa all day, but as long as you drink green tea you will be fine! You still need to have a healthy and balanced diet and follow a good exercise routine. Research indicates that drinking green tea lowers total cholesterol levels, as well as improving the ratio of good (HDL) cholesterol to bad (LDL) cholesterol. Research also suggests that EGCg , a compound found in green tea, can help repair damaged DNA and therefore help prevent cancer.
There is lots of other sciencey stuff, but I won’t bore you, or me, with it.
Here are some tips on what to do with it:
- Make a cup with hot water. This is the most usual way of having it and I usually have about 3 cups (of caffeine free) a day.
- Make a salad dressing with green tea powder, with oil and vinegar.
- Make a rice/noodle soup broth using green tea and top with vegetables.
- Add honey to hot green tea and some of your favourite spices and use as a marinate for tofu or meat.
- Use it to make your porridge with. If you normally use hot water, swap it for a cup of hot green tea and make as normal.
- Make a green tea smoothie.
- Steam chicken with green tea, rather than water.
Tip: Make up a jug of green tea and put in the fridge. Drink a pint when you feel hungry, but you know you are not!