Wholewheat pancakes is a healthier alternative to traditional pancakes. Just be careful with what toppings you put on them, as that is what can make them really unhealthy.
Serves 4 – about 2 pancakes each
- 125 g wholemeal flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (you can leave this out if you don’t like it – but I love it!!)
- 150ml skimmed milk
- 1 egg white
- 70ml non fat yoghurt
1) Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl
2) Combine all the wet ingredients together
3) Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until smooth
4) Add a couple of sprays of oil or add some butter into a pan and pour in some mixture. Spread it round to desired consistency.
5) Once the mixture starts to bubble (1 minute), flip the pancake over. Use a spatula if you are scared I prefer to throw it in the air!
6) Put onto a plate
7) Add toppings and EAT!
I topped mine with natural peanut butter (it is just peanuts, nothing added to it) and banana and the pancakes had blueberries cooked in them. It topped them with Greek yoghurt.
Other healthy topping choices are:
- Any fruit. Warm a banana in the oven and mash it into the pancake. Also, any berry or stewed apples work well.
- Honey or agave
- Light coconut milk
- Coconut flakes
- Fruit puree (kind of like jam, but just pure pureed fruit)
- Chopped nuts
- If you do want chocolate, buy 85% dark chocolate, melt it and drizzle a little over the pancakes and add loads of fruit.
Nutritional Information – without toppings: