This Healthy Apple and Date Slice is so quick and simple to prepare! Packed with fruit and oats, it’s super delicious.
I only recently discovered dates when I made these brownie bites and have been looking for other ways to use them. I wanted to make a fruity flapjack type dish, and I came up with this. It has a really nice autumn flavour to it with the apple and cinnamon.
How to make Apple and Date Slice – Serves 8
Apple and Date Slice
- 125 g porridge oats
- 65 g wholemeal plain flour
- 65 g wholemeal self raising flour
- 35 g fructose sugar
- 125 g butter or spread
- 40 g dates chopped
- 3 apples
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- Chop the apples and bake for 20 minutes at 200C
- Line a 10x15cm baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix together the porridge oats, wholemeal plain and self raising flour and the fructose sugar.
- Crumble in the butter.
- Stir until all mixed together.
- Put half the mixture in the pan and flatten down.
- Mix together the cooked apples, dates and spices and pour on top of the oaty mixture (leave about a 2cm gap around the edge).
- Put the other half of the oat mix on top of the fruit and flatten down again.
- Bake for 25 minutes and leave to cool and then cut into squares.