Who says nachos can't be for breakfast? Not us, that's for sure! These breakfast nachos are layered with everyone's favourite filling breakfast item - eggs. They're then loaded with black beans for an added protein boost, a little melted cheese, salsa and guacamole. It's basically classic nachos, but breakfastised (that is totally a word now).
If you are stuck in a breakfast rut, then this is going to pull you straight out of it. Move aside pancakes and waffles (actually, please don't, we still love you) and hello nachos. We would would eat Mexican for breakfast, lunch and dinner if we could and this recipe is getting us one step closer to realising that dream.
Why should you try it?
- A fun and filling breakfast
- Great for feeding a crowd
- Easy to adapt
- Can pack with vegetables
- Quick and easy to make
Step by Step:
One: In a large bowl, crack in the eggs and add the salt, pepper and milk and whisk.
What to include
As these are breakfast nachos, eggs are the star here. We have added some beans and cheese and then salsa and guac because they just wouldn't be nachos without them. But, these are easy to adapt with other breakfast items.
Give these nachos a green boost by mixing some spinach in to the eggs.
Are they healthy?
These nachos are loaded with healthy fats from the avocado and eggs. Not only are eggs a fantastic source of protein, but they are full of healthy monounsaturated fats. More than half the protein is found in the egg white, along with vitamin B2, D, iron and zinc. However, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t plenty of nutrients in the yolk too! Not just healthy fats, but the yolk contains vitamins A, E and K.
How to store
We wouldn't recommend reheating these nachos, but luckily these only take a few minutes to put together, so try to make them from fresh.
- Use a mature cheddar, as the stronger flavour means that you can use less of it.
- Give these nachos a green boost by cooking some spinach in to the scrambled eggs.
- You could add cooked bacon and sausage to them too.
- 1 bag of low salt tortilla chips (or you can make your own)
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp milk
- 12 tbsp homemade salsa (heaped)
- 400 g black beans, canned, drained
- 60 g mature cheddar, grated
- 2 avocados
- 2 tbsp chipotle en adobo
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 1 handful coriander (cilantro)
- In a large bowl, crack in the eggs and add the salt, pepper and milk and whisk.
- Heat a little butter in a pan on a gentle heat and add the eggs. Gently cook, stiring constantly for a couple of minutes until the eggs are scrambled. Set aside.
- Put the tortilla chips in an ovenproof dish and then top with the cooked eggs, half the salsa and cheese and put in the oven at 190°C for around 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, put the avocado flesh in a bowl with the chipotle, lime juice and coriander and mash until desired consistency. Spoon on top of cooked nachos with the rest of the salsa and serve.