Last updated on July 25th, 2019 at 11:56 am
Rendang is an Indonesian dish and said to be one of the tastiest dishes in the world. This Chicken Rendang is simple and delicious.
Another healthy alternative to an Indian takeaway for you all. I don’t know about you, but I always crave Indian takeaway and if we ever order it (very rarely), I always regret it. It has nothing to do with guilt of ordering takeaway, as I work it into my eating plan, but it is normally really greasy and doesn’t taste as good as home-made. With a curry, you should be able to taste every individual spice, not just feel heat and grease.
Curry has become one of our favourite things to cook in our house. We love buying new spices to try and experimenting with different flavours. We take a basic recipe, and make it completely our own – that is what I love about cooking.
This curry is so simple to make and is creamy too. Using light coconut milk lightens this up.
How to make Chicken Rendang
- 300 g chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 mushrooms sliced
- 400 ml light coconut milk
- 2 kaffir lime leaves finely chopped (or squeeze of fresh lime)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp lemongrass
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 0.5 head broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried red chilli
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Grill the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Make the curry paste by blending the garlic, chilli, 1 ginger and the turmeric in a pestle and mortar.
- Fry the paste, onions and mushrooms in a little oil until onions are golden brown.
- Add the chicken, lime, salt, lemongrass and the second lot of ginger and cook for a further two minutes.
- Put the broccoli on to boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked broccoli.
- Serve over brown rice.