Last updated on June 21st, 2019 at 08:35 am
For all the hummus lovers out there! Homemade hummus is so cheap and easy to make and with this Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus, you are getting a hidden vegetable portion too. The baked pita chips are the perfect thing to dip in it too.
Butternut Squash Hummus
If you have never made your own hummus before, then this is the one to start with. I know the phrase “best ever” is thrown around a lot, especially in the blogging world, but this is probably the best hummus I have ever had. It’s definitely the best hummus I have ever made.
Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious recipes like this Butternut Squash Hummus? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds). You will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed.
Click here to sign up.
Roasting butternut squash is the best way to use it in my opinion, and we all know that roasted garlic is incredible and really enhances the flavour. So, imagine both of those blended in to a creamy hummus. It’s such a great way to sneak some extra vegetables in to your diet, as well as adding some extra flavour and colour to your hummus.
This hummus is a little bit different from traditional hummus, as it isn’t made with chickpeas (insert shocked face). We don’t want to offend any traditional hummus lovers out there, but as Dave is allergic to chickpeas (insert sad face) if he is going to be sharing my hummus (double sad face – I don’t like sharing hummus), then I make it with cannellini beans instead. It doesn’t change the flavour at all and the texture is still the same. So you can make hummus with whatever beans you have in your cupboard – this recipe will work exactly the same with a can of chickpeas.
Shall we talk about those pita chips? Now, we all know and love tortilla chips, but did you know you can do the same with a pita bread! It’s a great way to use up pita breads that have started to go a bit stale, and it’s something different to do with them too. Dipping these in to hummus makes a nice change from soft pita. You can add any kind of seasoning to them too, or just leave them plain and let the hummus flavour shine through.
I seriously can’t stress enough just how good this hummus is. Hummus is a total weakness of mine and I’m pretty sure I would weigh 10lbs less if I didn’t eat it. But I would be 10 times sadder, so it’s really not worth the trade off. I used to say that roasted red pepper hummus or roasted carrot hummus were my favourite, but this overtook it and it’s in a different league. Don’t just take my word for it, why not make it yourself!
How to make Butternut Squash Hummus
Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus
Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus:
- 1 Small butternut squash, peeled and chopped (About 220g when cubed)
- 1 400g can cannellini beans, only half drain it as adding some of the liquid to the food processor makes it creamier
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 handful Fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp Ras-el-hanout
- 1 Lemon (juice only)
- 1 Pita bread per person
- Spray oil
Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus:
- Put the butternut squash cubes and garlic cloves (not peeled) in to a roasting tin and drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil and some salt and pepper and mix well. Put in a preheated oven at 190C for 25 minutes.
- Add the cooked butternut squash to a food processor and squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skin and add to the food processor too.
- Put the remaining hummus ingredients in to the food processor and blend until smooth. It you want it a little chunky, don’t over process it. But we like our hummus super smooth.
- For the baked pita chips, slice the pita breads in half, so they become thin pita breads and then cut them in to triangles. Put the triangles on a baking tray, spray with oil and sprinkle with ras-el-hanout and then put in the preheated oven at 190c for 12 minutes until they have crisped up.
Have a look at what other recipes use Butternut Squash:
Butternut Squash Coleslaw
Spinach & Butternut Squash Toasted Sandwich
Roasted Butternut Squash & Prosciutto Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash, Sage and Ricotta Pasta
Chipotle Chicken and Butternut Squash Burritos
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce