Loaded with rice, beans, vegetables, avocado, cheese and spicy chicken, this Chicken Burrito Bowl is healthy, filling and utterly delicious.
Another Mexican recipe! Wooo Hooo! I know I am not the only one excited about that, as whenever I have asked what kind of recipes you would like more of, the majority of you say Mexican. That is fine with me, as I make no secret that it is my favourite type of food. What’s not to love?
If you want to be kept up to date on more delicious and healthy recipes like this, then please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds) and you will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed. Click here to sign up 🙂
I am back from my adventures in the French Alps and Geneva (posts on that coming soon) and although you would expect me to maybe post some French or Swiss recipe, Mexican food is what I missed. It was only 4 days, but that is a long time for me to go without anything spicy.
I realised that I have put up a recipe for a vegan burrito bowl, but not one for all the meat eaters. Of course you could just add meat to the vegan recipe, but I thought I would share my recipe for a chicken burrito bowl as it is a favourite in our house and so easy to throw together. You can also make lots of the chicken ahead of time and freeze it in portions and then get a portion out as and when you need it to make a quick burrito bowl. Mr HHH take the leftovers of this to work sometimes and he says it is good hot or cold.
With any of my Mexican recipes, you can make them as spicy and as mild as you like. I did not find this very spicy at all and I added lots of homemade chipotle sauce to mine, but then I do LOVE spicy food, so you might find this is just right for you. If you ever make a Mexican dish that is too spicy, add a spoonful of Greek yoghurt on top to cook it down. It works the same way as sour cream would, but it is healthier.
How to make Chicken Burrito Bowl – Serves 2:
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 200 g ground chicken breast
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch sea salt and pepper
- 80 g brown rice
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 120 g pinto beans (cooked)
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 0.5 avocado diced
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
- 30 g feta cheese
- Add the rice to a pan of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add a little spray of olive oil to a pan and add the chicken. Cook for 10 minutes and then add the chilli, garlic, onion, paprika, cumin and salt and pepper and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the tomato, avocado, coriander and feta and put to one side.
- Divide the lettuce between 2 bowls and once the rice is cooked, drain it and stir in the lime juice and put on top of the lettuce.
- Top with beans, cooked chicken and the avocado salsa and serve.
What Mexican recipe would you like to see a healthy version of? Leave a comment below 🙂
Get the RSS feed here
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.