Chinese food has a reputation for being greasy and one of those meals that you eat way too much of, but then you are hungry again a couple of hours of later. Also, don’t get me start on the sodium bloat that happens almost instantly. I am also not on-board with the MSG found in most Chinese food (although there is a delivery place near us that prides itself on no MSG).
I have never really liked Chinese food before, but I think that is because I have only ever had sodium filled greasy dishes or sickly sauces – all that made me feel awful the next day. Luckily, you can still have delicious Chinese inspired meals that cut down on the calories, fat and sodium.
This dish freezes really well too, so it makes a great quick and easy meal.
Ingredients – Serves 4:
– 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 8 garlic cloves, crushed
– Sea salt and black pepper
– 1 onion, sliced
– 12 mushrooms, sliced
– 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
– Half a head of broccoli, cut into chunks
– 8 asparagus spears, sliced lengthways
– 2 carrots, shredded
– 2 lemon grass stalks, diced
– 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, diced
– 1 tsp chopped red chilli,
– Juice of 1 lime
– 4 tbsp coriander (cilantro)
1) Put the chicken, oil, salt and pepper and half the crushed garlic in a bowl and stir. Leave for 15 minutes.
2) Add the chicken mixture to a large hot pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is pretty much cooked.
3) Put the chicken in a bowl and put to the side.
4) Add all of the rest of the of the ingredients to the pan and cook for 7 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Nutritional Information – Per Person:
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy