It’s official….there are now less than 6 weeks to Christmas. That means it is time to start perfecting all those recipes that that you will be making over the festive season. Nothing says Christmas like Mince Pies and this recipe combines them with everyone’s other favourite festive treat, chocolate. As if you won’t be having enough chocolate over Christmas, eh?! But, I have offset it by using fructose sugar instead of caster and whole wheat flour instead of white. So, you can feel a little bit less guilty, and enjoy it a little bit more. Everything in moderation though!
– 140g Whole Wheat Flour
– 25g Cocoa Powder
– 1 tbsp Cinnamon
– 80g Fructose Sugar
– 100g Butter
– 2 Egg yolks
– 250g Home-made mincemeat (store bought is fine though, although not as healthy)
– 1 Egg, beaten
– 1 tbsp milk
1) Mix together the flour, cinnamon and cocoa powder.
2) Mix the butter in, so it looks a bit like breadcrumbs, and add the egg.
3) Mix together (you may need to add a little water if it is too floury still.
4) Knead briefly in the bowl and then wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for an hour.
5) Preheat the oven to 200C/400C and take the pastry out of the fridge. Put it on some greaseproof paper and roll out to about a quarter inch thick.
6) Grease a muffin tin and cut out 12 circles with a cookie cutter (6 slightly bigger that the other to make the bottom of the pie).
7) Line the muffin tins with the bigger pastry circles.
8) Fill with 2tsp of mincemeat and brush the edges with milk.
9) Put the smaller circles on top and gently fold over the edges and pinch down, or use a fork to crimp the edges. Brush them with beaten egg.
10) Put in the oven for 25 minutes and serve with a hot festive drink.