With tomato season nearly gone, I won’t be eating many whole tomatoes for a while as there is not much worse than an out of season tomato. They just don’t taste of anything. So, to hang onto the last of the season by a thread, I thought I would incorporate tomatoes into today’s breakfast.
I love the flavour combination of eggs and tomato, and I used to combine the two by having eggs covered in ketchup a few years ago. To get the same flavour combination without all the salt and sugar that comes with ketchup (yes, even the low salt and sugar one is packed with it – I will be posting a home-made recipe soon though), bake the egg in a tomato.
Ingredients – serves 2:
– 2 large tomatoes
– 2 eggs
– 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
– Salt and pepper
1) Slice the top off the tomato and scoop out about half the insides (enough room for the egg). Reserve the insides and use for salsa another time.
2) Crack an egg into each tomato cup.
3) Sprinkle over a little salt and pepper and the parsley.
4) Bake at 220C/420F for 35 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking.
5) Serve with whole wheat toast
Nutritional Information – per person (without toast):
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy