Eggs Florentine is a classic breakfast or brunch dish. This healthier version is not only delicious, but it’s on the table in less than 10 minutes.
Nothing says Sunday brunch like Eggs Florentine, or Eggs Benedict if you want to add some meat. It is something a bit special for breakfast, that you wouldn’t have every day, but if you make a hollandaise sauce the typical way, it can carry a lot of calories. It is usually made with quite a lot of butter, but my recipe doesn’t include any.
If you want to be kept up to date on more delicious and healthy recipes like this, then please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds) and you will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed. Click here to sign up 🙂
I have come up with a healthier hollandaise sauce that uses yoghurt instead of cream. You probably guessed that I would use yoghurt, you know how much I like to use it as a replacement to cream and butter. You have to cook the sauce very, very gently and low though, as if you quick it too quick at a high heat, the yoghurt can split.
How to make Healthy Eggs Florentine – serves 2:
- 4 eggs
- 2 whole wheat English muffins
- 120 g spinach
- 5 tbsp 0% Greek yoghurt
- 0.5 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Pinch cayenne pepper optional
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- Cook the spinach in some boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- Halve the English muffins and toast them.
- Poach the eggs (Bring some water and 1 tbsp of vinegar (this helps to keep the whites together) to the boil in a pan and gently crack in the eggs. Simmer for 4 minutes for a runny yolk).
- Put the yoghurt, mustard powder, lemon juice, cayenne and salt and pepper in a small pan and heat for 4 minutes, whisking constantly. Heat on low and don't overheat as the yoghurt will split.
- Put the drained spinach on the English muffins, top with an egg on each one and pour over some hollandaise sauce.
Get the RSS feed here
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.