This simple and tasty Honey Soy Chicken recipe is sure to become a regular feature on your menu for Sundays or special occasions.
As part of Tesco’s Love Every Mouthful campaign, they took a survey to find out what the people’s favourite dish was and Manchester voted on a classic roast dinner and I can’t blame them really. Sure, there are so many other amazing meals out there but nothing reminds you of the comforts of home like a roast chicken and crispy potatoes on a plate piled with vegetables. However, when Manchester were voting on their favourite dish, I don’t think this is the roast dinner they had in mind, but hopefully they would give it a try.
This isn’t your average roast chicken, which would normally only be seasoned with some salt and pepper and maybe some lemon and thyme. This chicken is glazed in a sticky Asian sauce that gives it so much more flavour. It may not be traditional, but it is certainly tasty. It has sweetness from the honey and loads of flavour from the ginger and garlic. This will definitely liven up your usual Sunday roast.
The honey makes the skin of the chicken brown and crispy, but it is not burnt, that is just the glaze.
How to make Honey Soy Chicken – Serves 6:
Honey Soy Chicken
- 6 tbsp clear honey
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 30 g piece of ginger grated
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 5 tbsp rice wine
- 1.4 kg whole chicken
- 1 kg charlotte potatoes halved
- 2 lemons thinley sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g tenderstem broccoli
- Preheat your oven to 200C/390F
- In a pan, combine the honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and rice wine and boil for 5 minutes until it is thick and sticky.
- Put the chicken in a shallow baking tin and brush with half of the glaze. Roast for 40 minutes and then coat with the remaining glaze and return to the oven for 40 minutes, until cooked through and the juices run clear.
- In a roasting tin, mix the potatoes with the oil and lemon slices and add some sea salt and black pepper. Put in the oven when the chicken goes back in the oven for the last 40 minutes.
- Boil the broccoli for 3 minutes before serving.
Get the RSS feed here
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.
*The ingredients for this meal were provided for free*