Last updated on July 30th, 2019 at 01:09 pm
If you love eating McDonald’s or just burgers in general, then I have a much Healthier Big Mac alternative for you that tastes amazing too.
McDonald’s is something I would never eat now, simply for the fact that if I was going to have a burger, I would make one myself and if I am out and need something to eat quickly, there are much tastier and healthier options available. But that is just my choice and opinion, that same way lots of others choose to eat McDonald’s. Nobody is perfect and everyone has their “thing”. A McDonald’s once in a while is not going to ruin anything, if that is what you want to eat.
If you want to be kept up to date on more healthy recipes like this, then please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds) and you will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed. Click here to sign up :)
However, saying that, I know a lot of people have a serious McDonald’s addiction and they are hitting the drive-thru every day. I love burgers, they are so versatile with all the different meats you can use and the various ways you can flavour them and then there is so much choice of topping. People automatically think that burgers are going to be unhealthy, but if you use a lean mince, whole wheat burger bun and don’t go overboard with the toppings, then it can be a healthy choice for a meal.
That leads us on to the Big Mac. One of the most popular items on the McDonald’s menu can be made healthier and in my opinion tastier. I know a lot of people might not agree with that, because they enjoy the taste of all the additives in the Big Mac – that is what makes them so addictive and that is not a good thing. This healthier Big Mac is additive free and the sauce is so good and you would never know that it is not full of mayo.
How to make a Healthier Big Mac – Serves 2:
Healthier Big Mac
- 250 g ground lean turkey breast mince
- 0.5 onion finely diced
- 1 red chilli finely diced
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 3 tbsp 0% Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Ketchup (homemade, or low salt and sugar)
- 0.25 red pepper very finely chopped
- 2 gherkins very finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp Half a teaspoon of cayenne
- 0.25 lemon (juice only)
- 2 whole wheat burger buns
- 20 g cheddar cheese sliced
- 2 gherkins sliced
- 100 g iceberg lettuce shredded
- Put the turkey, diced onion, chilli and some salt and pepper in a bowl, mix together and then form into 2 burger patties and chill in the fridge.
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients and put in the fridge to chill.
- Grill the burgers for 10 minutes - put the cheese on top to melt a couple of minutes before they are cooked.
- Create your healthier Big Mac by cutting open your burger buns (toast them first), spread some sauce on the bottom slice of the bun, top with a burger, add a little more sauce, some lettuce, a gherkin and top with the lid of the burger bun.
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy
Get the RSS feed here