An easy and healthy desserts, these Lemon Squares are delicious! These slices of zesty lemony goodness are hard to resist.
I am not usually much of a lemon dessert person – I would always choose chocolate over anything, so I don’t think I ever gave lemon desserts a chance but I am converted! Okay, it is not like I am going to always choose a lemon dessert instead of a chocolate one now, but the taste of a lemon dessert is just so much lighter. I’m in love!
A few weeks back I asked on the Facebook page what Christmas recipes you wanted me to create healthier versions of and a lot of you asked for lemon squares. I have never had one before, so I Googled it and I can see why you all wanted a healthier version of it – so much butter and sugar in all the recipes I found. I really wanted to give a good and healthier recipe to you as so many people asked for one, but I was a little worried about how it would turn out when it did have so much butter and sugar in it. I was sure that I could make a healthier version of it, but whether it would be full of flavour or not was a different matter.
Anyway, I made this today and despite not having tried an unhealthy lemon square, these taste so good. They are buttery and sweet and they have a spongy, yet gooey texture. Once again, these are going to have to go straight into the freezer in individual portions, otherwise I fear I may eat the whole lot.
How to make these Lemon Squares – Serves 15 :
- 100 g pitted dates
- 8 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 100 g almonds
- 80 g whole wheat flour
- 30 g butter
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs (whole)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lemon (juice and zest only)
- Put the dates and water in a food processor and blend until a paste/syrup
- Mix together the butter and yoghurt and honey and then stir in the date syrup.
- Beat in 2 of the eggs and then just the yolks from the other 2 eggs. Add the zest and the juice of the lemon and stir.
- Put the almonds in a food processor and blend until they turn to a flour consistency.
- Add the almonds and the flour to the rest of the mixture and stir until it is all combined.
- Grease a 10x8" pan and pour the mixture in.
- Bake at 200C/380F for 40-45 minutes. Leave to cool and then cut into 15 pieces.