Roast up a selection of your favourite vegetables and layer them with a delicious tomato sauce in this simple Roasted Vegetable Lasagne.
As we sit here and wait for one of the worst storms in a few years to hit the UK, that means that our thoughts head towards comfort food and snuggling up under the duvet for the evening. I think most people would consider lasagne (or lasagna if you are in a part of the world that spells it that way) one of the ultimate comfort foods. Pasta, cheese and a rich tomato sauce just screams comfort food.
Many people think that Italian food is off limits if you are trying to lose weight, but it can actually be really healthy if you are mindfull of the serving size of the pasta and if you pack it full of vegetables, then it has an extra healthy boost. A serving of this lasgane is healthier than many recipes, and it is only 200 calories per portion.
The tomato sauce that I have used in this recipes is the best and simplest pasta sauce I have tasted. I have never been to Italy, so I am sure I will change my mind after I do go, but it really is that good. When making it, my house fills up with such amazing smells. The best thing is that this recipe leaves leftover tomato sauce, which freezes well. So you have an extra quick meal that can be thrown together a could of days after making this. The lasagne also freezes well if you have leftovers.
How to make Roasted Vegetable Lasagne - Serves 4:
Roasted Vegetable Lasagne
- 1 medium onion diced
- 800 g chopped tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 2 courgettes (zucchini) sliced thinly lengthways
- 1 aubergine (eggplant) sliced thinly lengthways
- 4 medium bell peppers mixed in colours, cut in to strips
- 6 wholewheat lasagne sheets
- 125 g ricotta cheese
- 30 g mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the olive oil to a pan heat and add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put the vegetables on a baking tray and put in the oven at 200C/390F for 30 minutes.
- Once the sauce and vegetables are cooked, it is time to start making the lasagne. Take a 10inch x 6inch dish and add some of the tomato sauce to the bottom. Top with 3 lasagne sheets and then spread half of the ricotta on top of the sheets. The next layer is half of the roasted vegetables. Repeat this by adding some tomato sauce, then the rest of the lasagne sheets, the remaining ricotta and finishing with the rest of the roasted vegetables. Top with the shredded mozzarella.
- Put back in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Get the RSS feed here
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.