This spicy Turkey Meatball Soup is simple and quick soup for any week night meal. It's hearty, filling and soup-er delicious!
I mentioned a couple of weeks back that I wanted to start cooking more Chinese dishes, because it is a type of food I never really ate because of all the grease and calories - but it always looks so good. I quickly realised that the easiest way to make a healthy Asian style dish is to make it soup/broth base, so you don't have to go down the route of a stick sauce.
Seeing as winter is most definitely here now in the UK, and soup is on the menu pretty much every day in our home, this seemed like a great time to make a meal like this. The addition of meatballs is so good. You could leave them out completely though, and just add more vegetables, or you could add tofu instead. I used turkey mince, but you could use pork, beef, lamb or chicken - they would all work.
So, skip the takeaway this weekend and make a tasty and healthy Chinese dish yourself.
How to make this Spicy Turkey Meatball Soup - Serves 2:
Spicy Meatball Soup
- 100 g udon noodles (or your favourite noodles)
- 200 g turkey mince
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 4 spring onions
- 500 ml hot water
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 0.5 lime (juice and zest only)
- 20 g fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 large mushrooms sliced
- 100 g kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Put the mince, half the garlic (crushed), 1 red chilli (diced), 2 spring onions (diced) and half the ginger (finely chopped) into a bowl and combine. Roll into meatballs. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the meatballs and cook for 10 minutes, turning over every few minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the rest of the garlic and ginger to a food processor along with the lime juice and zest, lemon grass and coriander and whizz it up to make a paste. Alternatively, use a pestle and mortar to make the paste.
- After the meatballs have been cooking for around 2 minutes, add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot water and the paste to the pan and then add the kale and noodles and heat for around 4 minutes on low.
- Serve into a bowl and top with the rest of the spring onions (sliced lengthways) and the other red chilli (sliced).