10 Minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry
Curries don’t get much quicker and easier than this 10 Minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry. Just tip everything in to the pan and it’s ready less than 10 minutes later.
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time12 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 g Chopped tomatoes
- 400 g Tinned chickpeas, drained
- 100 g Spinach
- 10 g Coriander (cilantro)
- 0.5 tsp each of ground coriander, paprika, cumin, turmeric and cayenne
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
Heat a little oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the spices and stir well.
Add the chopped tomatoes, drained chickpeas and salt and pepper. Simmer for 8 minutes.
2 minutes before it has finished cooking, add the spinach and coriander and stir well.
Cook for 2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
Some extra tips for this dish:
- If you don't have a can of chickpeas, then any other can of plain beans will work. We like chickpeas because they are really creamy, but others work too.
- Don't have any spinach? You can use another leafy green instead. Kale, Cabbage and Swiss chard will all work, but they will take a little bit longer to cook, so put them in the pan earlier.
- Creamy curries are super comforting, so why not add a spoonful of cream, coconut milk or creme fraiche to the pan just before serving.
- Instead of serving this spinach curry with plain rice, mix some lime juice and fresh coriander in to the rice before serving.
- A little tip about tinned tomatoes - we always use whole tomatoes and chop them up in the pan with a wooden pan as they are less processed. Chopped tomatoes tend to be really watery too. Try to buy the best quality too, as you can really taste the difference.
- The cost of this curry is around £0.32/$0.40 per serving!
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 232mg | Potassium: 195mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2500IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1.4mg