Savoury Pancakes with Cheese and Caramelised Onion
Pancakes don't have to be sweet, and if you are wanting to go down the savoury pancake route then these Caramelised Onion and Cheddar Savoury Pancakes are the ones to put on your table.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 1 Egg
- 150 ml Skimmed Milk (⅔ cup)
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil (plus extra for frying)
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 60 g Mature Cheddar, grated
- 2 Handfuls of spinach
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Butter
- Parsley, to garnish
- 8 mushrooms sliced
Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well and crack in the egg and pour in the milk and 1 tbsp of oil.
Whisk until you have a smooth batter. Set aside.
Heat the butter in a frying pan and add the onions. Fry until soft.
Add the mushrooms and balsamic vinegar and cook until it has reduced.
Add the spinach and wilt and set aside.
Wipe a frying pan with oiled kitchen paper and heat over a moderate heat. Ladle the batter into the centre of the pan and tilt the pan so the batter spreads thinly around the pan. Cook undisturbed for 30 seconds.
Flip the pancake and heat the other side for 30 seconds. Once cooked, put the pancake on a plate and cover with foil to keep it warm. Repeat with all the remaining batter.
Assemble the pancakes by adding a line of the onion mixture and then the grated cheese. Fold and serve.
- Make sure you pour only a very thin layer of batter in to the pan. These are meant to be thin, light and delicate crepe type pancakes. Too much batter would make them stodgy.
- You can freeze these pancakes for up to 3 months. Make sure to put a layer of baking paper between each pancake though, to stop them from sticking.
- Weight Watchers points: 7
Serving: 1pancake | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1500IU | Vitamin C: 8.3mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 0.7mg