Healthy BBQ Sauce
We are bringing you a healthier homemade recipe, so you never have to buy a store bought bottle again. You will want this Healthy BBQ Sauce on everything!
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 30 tablespoons
- 1 Small onion, very finely diced
- 500 g Passata (2 cup)
- 2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Add a little oil to a pan and put the onions in and gently cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
Simmer for around 10 minutes.
If you want a smooth sauce, wait for it to cool and then blend to the desired consistency.
Some Extra Tips For This Health BBQ Sauce:
- Keep this BBQ sauce vegan by swapping the honey for maple syrup. You can use any liquid or granulated sweetener you like, but you may need to adjust the measurements.
- Change things up a bit and go for a spicy BBQ sauce. Add a tsp of cayenne or a few drops of chilli sauce to spice things up a bit.
- We like our BBQ sauce nice and smokey, which is why we use smoked paprika in it, but you can easily leave it out.
- This sauce has been blended to make it really smooth like a store bought BBQ sauce, but you could skip that stage and just leave it chunky.
- If you aren't making this for kids, feel free to add a pinch of salt for some extra flavour.
Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 17kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 18mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Iron: 0.2mg