Creamy Tomato and Chicken Pasta Bake
It doesn't get much more comforting than a creamy pasta bake and this Creamy Tomato and Chicken Pasta Bake is an easy weeknight meal that will feed a hungry family.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 portions
- 300 g Chicken breasts, cut in to chunks
- 280 g Rigatoni pasta
- 4 Shallots, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1 Courgette grated
- 400 g Plum tomatoes
- 100 ml Vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 3 tbsp Reduced fat cream cheese
- 8 Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 40 g Mature cheddar cheese
- 30 g Mozzarella cheese torn
- 1 handful Fresh basil, chopped
Put the pasta in a pan of boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes.
Heat some olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and then add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree and oregano to the chicken and mash the tomatoes a little and simmer for 2 minutes.
Drain the pasta and add the grated courgette and cream cheese and stir well.
Add the pasta mixture to the chicken mixture along with the cherry tomatoes and stir well.
Transfer to an oven safe baking dish and sprinkle with the cheddar, mozzarella and basil and put in a pre-heated oven at 190°C for 15 minutes.
Once cooked, serve with chopped basil sprinkled on top.
- We used cheddar and mozzarella on top, but you could swap it for parmesan and goats cheese instead.
- Keep this vegetarian by swapping out the chicken and using chunks of roasted aubergine or tofu instead. You could even for a seafood version and use king prawns or tuna instead.
- If you want the sauce a little bit sweeter, a glug of good quality balsamic vinegar would go a long way. Or maybe turn up the heat by adding some chilli flakes.
- Feel free to use different types of pasta if you already have some in your cupboard.
- This is a good opportunity to sneak in lots of extra vegetables. Spinach, chopped peppers and mushrooms work well.
- You could use leftover shredded chicken in this too.
- Always cook your pasta for a couple of minutes less than usual with making a pasta bake, as it will cook more in the oven.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 372mg | Potassium: 1069mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1495IU | Vitamin C: 34.7mg | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 3.3mg