Slow Cooker Beef Curry
This Slow Cooker Beef Curry is an easy and comforting meal with a kick of spice. Slow cooked chunks of tender beef in a rich and spicy sauce served over a bed of rice.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time8 hrs
Total Time8 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 2 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g braising steak, trimmed of fat and cut in to chunks
- 8 shallots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp each of ground cumin, ground coriander and garam masala
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp fat free natural yoghurt
- 20 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Cooked rice to serve
Preheat your slow cooker to low. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat and then add the steak and brown for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the steak to the slow cooker pot.
Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and chilli to the frying pan and cook over a low heat for 2 minutes. Add all the spices and salt and pepper, stir well and cook for a further 1 minute.
Add the shallot mixture to the slow cooker pot along with the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and stir well. Cook on low for 8 hours until the beef is tender.
Stir through the yoghurt and fresh coriander and serve with rice.
- Save yourself some time and make this the ultimate dump meal by skipping the browning stage and add everything to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add some extra vegetables by stirring in some spinach just before serving, or cooking some chunks of butternut squash when the beef goes in the slow cooker.
- This is easy to freeze in portions, just make sure it has fully cooled before freezing.
- If you don't want this spicy and you want it more kid friendly, then leave out the chilli and let the herbs and spices shine through. Or, you could add some extra yoghurt.
- Or, if you want an even spicier curry - try adding some curry powder.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 607kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 1648mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 1235IU | Vitamin C: 66.8mg | Calcium: 269mg | Iron: 9.5mg