Caprese salad is a classic Italian summer dish,so adding chicken just made sense. Caprese Chicken is all the flavours of the salad, but with added protein.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 600 g chicken breasts
- 100 g mozzarella grated
- 200 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
On the hob (stovetop), heat some oil in a large, oven-proof pan and add the chicken breasts. Season with garlic granules, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Keep turning the chicken until it has browned on all sides.
Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan.
Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan. Put the pan in a preheated oven at 200C/400F/Gas6 for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cover each chicken breast with equal amounts of mozzarella.
Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve.
- You could make this recipe as a stuffed chicken breast. Slice the chicken at the side horizontally when it is uncooked and then add the slices of mozzarella and tomatoes and cook them at the same time as the chicken.
- Add even more flavour to this by putting a layer of pesto on the chicken before adding the tomato and cheese.
- Find the thinnest chicken breasts you can, as they will cook quicker and more evenly. You could always use a meat tenderiser to flatten them a little.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 349mg | Potassium: 732mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 533IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 2mg