This rich and healthy Turkey Chili is made with lean turkey mince and is an easy and comforting meal with minimal effort.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 500 g turkey mince
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g kidney beans (canned) drained
- 150 g sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chipotle en adobo
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 125 ml vegetable stock
- sour cream
- jalapenos sliced
- fresh coriander chopped
- cheddar cheese grated
- limes quartered
- tortilla chips
Prepare all the vegetables by cutting them into 2cm/1 inch cubes
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the turkey mince, breaking it up as it cooks. Cook until all the mince has browned (about 5 minutes)
Add all the spices and mix.
Add the chopped tomatoes, sweetcorn, kidney beans, tomato puree and chipotle paste. Stir until all mixed.
Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, grated cheese and sliced jalapenos (all optional).
- You can swap the turkey mince for beef or chicken or even a vegetarian alternative. Or, use just beans.
- Grate a little bit of dark chocolate in, along with a sprinkle of cinnamon to really intensify the flavours.
- Add some extra vegetables with butternut squash, spinach or kale.
- You can serve this in a bowl by itself, or with rice or on a baked potato.
- If you wanted to prep some of this in advance, you could brown the turkey and vegetables the day before and then just dump everything in the pan when you are ready to cook it.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 478kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 514mg | Potassium: 1342mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 10125IU | Vitamin C: 55.9mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 7.4mg