Yet another warming winter recipe. With winter approaching fast, it’s time to break that casserole dish or slow cooker out of hibernation and start filling it with food to keep you warm. I had never had turkey sausages before, and whilst I try to avoid high fat foods like sausages, they are fine in moderation, and being turkey means they are lower in fat. I did buy good quality butcher ones as well.
I used cannellini and pinto beans, but you can use which ever ones are your favourite. You can use tinned (make sure they are well rinsed) or dried (make sure your prepare the dry ones first).
- 8 lean turkey sausages, grilled for 8-10 minutes (make sure they are fully cooked)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 800g of mixed beans (I used 400g cannellini and 400g pinto)
- 2 leeks, slices
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp chopped chilli leave out if you don’t want it to have a little kick)
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
1) Cook the leeks, mushrooms and garlic in a little frylight on the hob for 5-10 minutes, until softened.
2) Put the cooked leek mixture into a large casserole dish and add all of the other ingredients and stir well.
3) Cook in the oven at 200C for 30 minutes.
4) Serve with root vegetable mash.