A Caprese salad is a classic Italian summer dish, and this is a little chicken twist on it. You get all the flavours of the caprese salad, but with some added protein too. Fresh tomatoes, slices of mozzarella, some basil and finished off with a drizzle of balsamic. A really simple one pan chicken dish that the whole family will love.
Melty mozzarella cheese, fresh juicy tomatoes and finely chopped basil all layered on a chicken breast and then drizzled with balsamic vinegar just before serving. A delicious light dinner that goes well with some roasted potatoes or a salad. If you are looking for a new way to enjoy chicken, then give this a try.
Why should you try it?
✔ A light and fresh meal
✔ A new way to enjoy chicken
✔ Just 390 calories a portion
✔ High in protein
✔ All cooked in one pan
This is a super easy meal to make, so it’s perfect for an after work weeknight meal. But it’s also impressive enough to serve up to guests. It’s easy to make a big batch of these if you are feeding a crowd. They could be really good on the BBQ too.
We love a good sauce, and this sauce is EVERYTHING! It’s not even really a sauce as it’s the natural juices from the chicken with a little oil, herbs, balsamic and juices from the tomatoes. We added some cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden with some shallots and garlic to the chicken with some olive oil, oregano and dried basil. The rest took care of itself.
What Else Can You Add To Them?
These are really easy to adapt. We like to put a layer of pesto on the check first before adding the toppings – any pesto will work, but sundried tomato just gives it that extra tomato burst.
What To Serve With Caprese Chicken
You can serve with with pasta or rice, but we will to serve it with little crispy roast potatoes like our Italian Parmesan Roasted Potatoes. If you want to keep this meal lighter, then serve the chicken on top of a big green salad.
- You could make this recipe as a stuffed chicken breast. Slice the chicken at the side horizontally when it is uncooked and then add the slices of mozzarella and tomatoes and cook them at the same time as the chicken.
- Add even more flavour to this by putting a layer of pesto on the chicken before adding the tomato and cheese.
- Find the thinest chicken breasts you can, as they will cook quicker and more evenly. You could always use a meat tenderiser to flatten them a little.
How To Make Caprese Chicken – step by step:
Want to try some other chicken recipes? How about these:
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
Creamy Tomato and Chicken Pasta Bake
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Roasted Harissa Chicken
Honey and Lime Chicken
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this Caprese Chicken or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
- 400 g chicken breasts
- 60 g mozzarella sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- Preheat your oven to 200C/390F.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic granules and onion powder
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, until it is cooked through
- Layer the mozzarella and tomatoes on top of the chicken and then sprinkle with the basil. Put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.