* This is a sponsored post for Italian New Potatoes *
Comforting chunks of potato and low calorie cauliflower bites make the base of this budget friendly Cauliflower and Potato Curry. It's ready in just 15 minutes, showing that fast food can be healthy too!
Another curry recipe for you all? They just keep on coming! We will be taking a break from the curry recipes for a bit after this one, but I couldn't hold off posting this one, because it's such a comforting and easy curry, and seriously cheap to make. Due to us using some of our favourite comforting seasonal ingredients, this is a vegan curry that even meat eaters will be impressed with.
Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious recipes like this Cauliflower and Potato Curry? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds). You will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won't be passed on to anyone and of course, you will never be spammed. Click here to sign up.
With baby's due date just around the corner (only 12 days away in fact), we have been making lots of quick and easy, but still nutritional, meals that we can freeze and reheat when we have a screaming baby to contend with. I'm sure with the upheaval of our new arrival, we will be eating a lot out of the freezer in the upcoming weeks, and this curry freezes well so it will be a welcome go-to meal when both of us are too tired to cook.
Not only is this curry really quick and easy to make, it is comforting too as the days get colder. Potato dishes really do hit the spot. Due to the nights drawing in, many people use potatoes in their autumn and winter dishes. While British potatoes are currently being harvested, Italian New Potatoes are just coming into season, and it is those potatoes that I've used in this curry.
Italian potatoes grow so well in the autumn months with the country still basking in the sunshine, while we’re starting to feel the chill. The Italian climate in the late summer is perfect for planting new potatoes and by October, they are ready to harvest and finally ship over to be enjoyed at their best.
Italian farmer Guiseppe Distaso has been growing these potatoes in the Puglia region of Italy’s sunny south east for many years. They’re grown along a 10 mile strip of coastline in free-draining sandy soil and harvested by hand to protect their delicate skins. I have to say, that thanks to the Italian climate, these potatoes are really some of the freshest I've ever had and therefore, they work so well in this curry.
Available in Tesco stores from the end of October, Italian New Potatoes make a great addition to any meal with their fresh, light flavour and would be great with any number of dishes, or even just roasted on their own. Keep a look out for more recipes using these wonderful potatoes coming soon to the blog.
Cauliflower and Potato Curry recipe:
Cauliflower and Potato Curry
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb size Piece of Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 400 g Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 300 g New Potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 tbsp Coriander (cilantro)
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Lemon (juice only)
- 200 ml Boiling Water
- Par boil the cauliflower and potatoes until just soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger, stirring continuously to avoid burning the garlic and ginger. Remove from heat and put to one side.
- In a dry frying pan, toast the mustard seeds and cumin seeds for 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring continuously to avoid burning the seeds. Remove from heat and put to one side.
- Next, return the onions, garlic and ginger to the heat and add the tomatoes, all of the spices, lemon juice, curry leaves and toasted seeds.
- Drain the cauliflower and potatoes and add to the sauce along with the boiling water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with naan bread or rice (both optional)
Let’s stay in touch!
**This Cauliflower and Potato Curry recipe was commissioned by Tesco Italian New Potatoes, however, all opinions are my own**