Loaded with rice, beans, vegetables, avocado, fresh salsa and spicy chicken, this Chicken Burrito Bowl is healthy, filling and utterly delicious. Burrito bowls are easy to adapt and great for making a few ahead of time for a quick and tasty lunch.
These healthy and filling burrito bowls take just a few minutes to put together (if you are using ready cooked chicken) and they have a little bit of everything. Spicy chicken, zesty salsa, creamy avocado and plenty of crunch from the veggies. There are so many ways to adapt it that you never have to have it the same way twice.
Why should you try it?
- Easy to adapt
- Protein packed
- A great meal prep recipe
- Healthy and filling
How To Make A Chicken Burrito Bowl - step by step:
One: Put the oil in a frying pan and once hot, add the chicken. Gently cook, turning occasionally for 6 minutes. In a separate pan, cook the pepper slices in oil for 4 minutes, until softened.
Two: Add the seasoning, stir well and cook for a further 2 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked through.
Three: Add the lettuce to the bowl and top with the cooked chicken and the rest of the ingredients.
What Is A Burrito Bowl?
A burrito bowl is exactly what it sounds like - all of your favourite burrito fillings served in a bowl, rather than a tortilla. Burrito bowls are typically served over rice, and eaten with a fork.
I don't know about you, but I make a total mess when trying to eat a burrito. This takes out the mess and makes it much easier to manage. I just love a bowl loaded up with fresh ingredients too.
Is It Healthy?
It definitely is. It includes a good mix of protein, carbs and healthy fats. You could make it lower in carbs by swapping the rice for Cauliflower Rice, or just serving it on top of shredded lettuce.
What Goes In A Burrito Bowl?
You can fill a burrito bowl with pretty much anything you like! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Protein (chicken, steak, fish, tofu, grilled halloumi) - for this recipe, we used chicken breast.
- Rice or quinoa - for this recipe, we used our Cilantro (coriander) rice, but if you want to low carb option, you could use cauliflower rice.
- Shredded lettuce - We like using Romaine or little gem as it is a nice, crunchy lettuce, but you could use any lettuce.
- Beans - We used black beans, but pinto beans work well, as do chickpeas.
- Corn - We didn't use corn here, but simple canned corn works really well. Drain fully first.
- Tomatoes - some kind of salsa is a must in a burrito bowl. We did a simple chopped tomatoes with coriander and lime juice, but you could make a Pico De Gallo or Restaurant Style Salsa. Fancy something different? Try our Pineapple Salsa.
- Avocado - We used sliced avocado, but you could use our amazing Guacamole Recipe.
- Cheese - If you can source some traditional Mexican Queso Fresco, that will work perfectly. Outside of Mexico and parts of the US, however, Queso Fresco is hard to come by, so a good substitute would be a mild feta or even ricotta.
- Sauce - If you like your meals really spicy, then make some of our tongue tingling Jalapeno Sauce to drizzle over it. It's got a serious kick!
- Sour Cream - If you wanted something lighter than sour cream, the a nice thick 0% Greek yogurt or reduce fat creme fraiche would work well.
Homemade Burrito Seasoning
You can buy many Mexican seasonings in a packets, but it's usually loaded with extra sugar and salt. It's really easy to make yourself, and then you can make a big batch and keep it in a jar for whenever you make Mexican dishes. It will keep well in an airtight jar for a year. We like to sprinkle it on salmon before grilling too.
We mix together chilli powder, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, ground coriander, sea salt and black pepper.
What Chicken To Use
We fried up some diced chicken breast and then added the Mexican seasoning to keep it lean. However, you could dice boneless and skinless chicken thighs and cook them the same way - they would be much juicy this way.
You could also use ground chicken - just fry it and then season it the same way we have the chicken breasts.
If you want to make this meal even quicker, you could use leftovers of our Slow Cooker Whole Chicken. Either add plain as it is, or fry in a little oil and then add the seasoning.
What To Do with Leftovers
If you have any topping leftovers, don't chuck them as they make a great filling for tacos and enchiladas. You can even stuff it into a pepper or a mushroom. This burrito bowl is also just as good cold the next day or two for leftovers. We sometimes make a few an pack them up for easy lunches in the week.
Whether you eat it straight away or for lunch the next day, grab some tortilla chips and dig in.
How To Store A Burrito Bowl?
These bowls will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To store, it is recommend putting the lettuce and avocado in a separate container than the rest of the ingredients. That way, the chicken can be reheated (if desired) in the microwave, and then you can make up the full bowl afterwards.
Want to try some other Mexican recipes? How about these:
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 1 chicken breast diced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 1 serving cilantro and lime rice
- 0.5 avocado sliced
- 100 g black beans (cooked)
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 0.5 lime juice
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- Put the oil in a frying pan and once hot, add the chicken. Gently cook, turning occasionally for 6 minutes. In a separate pan, cook the pepper slices in oil for 4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the seasoning, stir well and cook for a further 2 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the lettuce to the bowl and top with the cooked chicken and the rest of the ingredients.