It is definitely not a secret how much I love Mexican food. It is spicy and full of flavour, and you can often add cheese to it. What is not to like? If you are not careful, Mexican food can be full of fat and salt, but by making everything yourself, even the seasoning, you can make a healthy and delicious Mexican dinner.
Burritos are possibly my favourite Mexican dish, but when I don’t feel like getting messy and eating with my hands, or I want a warmer dish, enchiladas are the way forward.
Healthy to me means balance, including all the food groups and making the healthiest changes you can – I think this dish pretty much covers that.
Ingredients – serves 4:
– 2 chicken breasts, diced
– 1 carton of passata/tomato sauce
-200ml/6.7 fl oz water
– 1 tbsp red chilli flakes (or less if you want it less spicy)
– 1 tbsp paprika
– 1 tbsp cumin
– 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 onions, finely diced
– 4 peppers, sliced
– 16 mushrooms, sliced
– 16 jalapeño slices
– 120g cheddar cheese, grated
1) Put the chicken, pasatta, water, chilli flakes, paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic and onions in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours. Once cooked, remove chicken with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl and using 2 forks, pull the chicken and shred. Keep the sauce in the slow cooker. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can put it in a casserole dish and cook in the oven on a low heat for 4 hours.
2) Cook the peppers and mushrooms in a little oil for 5 minutes, until softened.
3) Take a tortilla, add some pulled chicken and some peppers and mushrooms and roll up and put in a dish. Repeat with all the tortillas.
4) Pour about half of the sauce remaining in the slow cooker over the tortillas in the dish, add the jalapeños and then sprinkle over the cheese.
5) Bake at 220C/400F for 20 minutes, until the cheese goes crispy.
What is your favourite Mexican dish? Leave a comment below and there could be a healthy version of it on the blog soon.
Nutritional Information – per person:
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy