For a quick, simple and really healthy meal this Chicken Pasta Salad dish is just the thing. Full of flavour and easy to make.
Sometimes sandwiches get a bit boring for lunch and your inspiration for a creative and tasty salad runs out. Pasta is so quick and easy to make that it is always a good choice. It doesn’t have to be unhealthy and covered in cheese and you can still have a creamy pasta dish without packing it full of calories.
This recipe is great for taking to work, or eating at home for lunch. It’s also a good way of using up left over chicken. I shall be posting more recipes in the coming weeks that are easy to take to work, as I know that is something that a lot of you struggle with. You can make a big batch of this and it will last for a few days to share out between your family’s lunches.
You can use any vegetables you have leftover in your fridge, adding in spinach would be good for a boost of iron, and if you want to give it a bit of a kick, then a tsp of mustard would do the trick. Due to our obsession with anything slightly Mexican related, we sometimes swap the basil for coriander and use lime instead of lemon and add some chilli flakes to it. Pasta salad is pretty simple to make and very easy to adapt to suit your own taste.
How to make Chicken Pasta Salad – Serves 2:
Chicken Pasta Salad
- 80 g Whole-wheat pasta (penne or fusilli work well)
- 150 g chicken breast
- 10 green olives destoned and halved
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 tbsp basil chopped
- 4 spring onions (scallions) sliced
- 0.5 yellow pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp 0% Greek Yogurt
- 0.5 lemon juice only
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Pinch sea salt and black pepper.
- Put the chicken under the grill for 25 minutes, until cooked through and cut it into small chunks.
- Add the pasta to boiling water and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and then add the chicken and all the other ingredients and mix well.
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.