Make the most of courgette (zucchini) season by making this light and colourful Courgette (Zucchini) and Lemon Pizza in just 10 minutes. A creamy yoghurt sauce with lemon for the base, topped with slices of courgette and then a mixture of cheese on top.
Courgette season is upon us and if you are growing them this year, then you are going to find yourself with more courgettes than you know what to do with. We have got you covered though. Let’s start with this Courgette (Zucchini) and Lemon Pizza and stay tuned for some more delicious courgette recipes over the summer.
Thin slices of courgette make the perfect summer pizza topping. They add plenty of colour, a light but noticeable flavour and they pair beautifully with some soft goats cheese and chives. Use yellow and green courgettes to add nice contrasting colours.
Yoghurt Pizza Base
Who says pizza has to have a tomato base? Not us! This creamy base is made out of yoghurt and cheese with some lemon stirred through. Keep this pizza vegan and use a soya yoghurt (and vegan cheese of course) – it might get a little bit watery after cooking though. Even if you use Greek yoghurt like we did, it will have a little bit of water on top when you pull it out of the oven, but once you slice it off that will just drain off.
It makes such a nice change and compliments the courgette perfectly. Of course you could use a classic tomato base, but it’s good to think outside the box sometimes and change pizza night up a little.
So, lemon on a pizza. Not convinced? It works really works with the lemon base and the courgette. I wouldn’t suggest just adding lemon to any pizza, as it probably wouldn’t work on a meat feast. But on this light and creamy courgette pizza, it just works. It’s not overpowering, but it gives it a nice spring/summer vibe.
10 Minute Pizza
Because there really isn’t much to this pizza, as it’s so simple, it only takes 10 minutes to make. That’s if you are using a ready made base like we did in these photos. We like the ready made ones from Northern Dough Co (not an advert – we just really love them) and they save us so much time.
With this recipe, we can make a pizza before we get tempted to order one. Of course if you have a little more time, then make the dough yourself and give our Whole Wheat Pizza Dough a try.
Ingredients needed for this Courgette (Zucchini) and Lemon Pizza (Serves 2)
- 1 ready made pizza base
- 3 heaped tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 40g light mature cheddar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Half a small yellow courgette, sliced
- Half a small green courgette
- 30g soft goats cheese, crumbled
- Zest of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
How To Make this Courgette (Zucchini) and Lemon Pizza- Step by Step:
One: Roll the Pizza base out.
Two: In a bowl, mix together the Greek yoghurt, half the cheddar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly across the pizza base.
Three: Add the sliced courgette
Four: Top with the rest of the cheddar and goats cheese.
Five: Sprinkle with chives and put in a preheated oven at 200C for 10 minutes. If the base is still a little soft, put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.
Six: Sprinkle over some more chives and the lemon zest before serving. (not shown below)
Other Courgette Recipes To Try:
SOME EXTRA TIPS FOR THIS DISH:
- Try to use yellow and green courgettes to give varied colour and flavour. However if you can’t find yellow courgettes you can just use green.
- If you don’t fancy making this with a yoghurt sauce, you could swap it for a classic tomato sauce instead.
- The courgettes may produce some liquid when cooking, so just drain it a little and then put it back in the oven for a little longer.
- Want to make this pizza vegan? Swap the Greek yoghurt for soya yoghurt and use vegan cheese.
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this Courgette (Zucchini) and Lemon Pizza? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this Courgette (Zucchini) and Lemon Pizza, or any other recipe on the blog, then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipe ideas, behind the scenes shots and also what we are getting up to.
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
Courgette and Lemon Pizza
- 1 Ready made pizza base
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt (heaped)
- 40 g Light mature cheddar
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 0.5 Small yellow courgette, sliced
- 0.5 Small green courgette, sliced
- 30 g Soft goats cheese, crumbled
- 1 Lemon (juice and jest only)
- 3 tbsp Fresh chives, finely chopped
- Roll the Pizza base out.
- In a bowl, mix together the Greek yoghurt, half the cheddar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly across the pizza base.
- Add the sliced courgette.
- Top with the rest of the cheddar and goats cheese.
- Sprinkle with chives and put in a preheated oven at 200C for 10 minutes. If the base is still a little soft, put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over some more chives and the lemon zest before serving.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.