I asked you all what kind of food you all wanted healthier recipes for and the majority of answers were Italian and dessert. Well, there are quite a few dessert recipes on here already (don’t worry, there are A LOT more to come), but not too many Italian – so that is what I shall be concentrating on.
I really, really love Carbonara. It’s creamy and cheesy, what is not to like. Oh yeah, the abundance of calories and fat. Of course eating the full fat version is fine in moderation, but if you are looking for a healthier version that will save you quite a few calories (for dessert), then you have come to the right place.The average restaurant serving of Carbonara has 1400 calories in it – so this is a much lighter version.
This is definitely a crowd-pleaser too.
Ingredients – Serves 4:
– 140g/4.8 oz dry whole wheat spaghetti
– 1 medium onion, chopped and cooked until soft
– 4 cloves of garlic, crushed and cooked with the onions
– 2 rashers of bacon, cooked and chopped
– 4 eggs
– 40g/3oz low fat cheddar cheese
– 4 dessert spoons of low fat yogurt
1) Cook the spaghetti.
2) Put the eggs in a bowl and whisk and then add the yogurt and cheese.
3) Once the spaghetti is cooked, drain it and then put it back into the pan. If you have an electric hob, turn off the heat and put the pan back on it, or if you have a gas cooker, turn it to the lowest setting and put the pan back on it. Add the egg, yogurt and cheese mixture to the spaghetti, along with the turkey bacon and onions and garlic and stir briskly, so the eggs do not scramble. Stir and heat for around 2 minutes and then serve.
4) Serve with a green salad.