You can get all the crispiness and flavour of KFC chicken by making it at home – plus it’s healthier and cheaper too. Seasoned and breaded chicken breasts that are baked to crispy perfection for the Healthy KFC alternative. Put it in to a burger bun for a homemade Zinger Tower Burger.
One thing a lot of us would like to cut back on in a bid to be healthier, and have more disposable income, is fast food and convenience food. Sure, it’s easy to just rock up to a drive-thru and put in your order, but who has the money to do that all the time?
Not only is making it yourself healthier, as you can control exactly what goes in to it and portion control, but you have the satisfaction of having made the delicious alternative yourself. With minimal effort too!
If you want to get that exact KFC flavour, then you are doing to need to deep fry the chicken to get it super crispy. But baking it gets it crispy enough, without a load of extra calories from the oil.
The exact KFC recipe is a closely guarded secret. However, with a few taste tests and some experiments ourselves we came up with a pretty great homemade version. It is a mixture of paprika, thyme, oregano, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and mustard. If you prefer one flavour and don’t like another as much, feel free to change the quantities. Use this recipe is a base. We might add some chilli flakes next time.
We have coated ours in breadcrumbs and baked it, rather than dipping it in flour and frying it, so there is going to be a taste difference there. But this is a healthier version after all. Also, KFC using MSG in their recipe and we gave that a miss too.
Zinger Burger Recipe
One of the best things to order at KFC is the Zinger Tower Burger. You can recreate that at home too by taking a piece of this breaded chicken and putting it in a bun with some cheese, lettuce, some Restaurant Style Salsa and one of our Homemade Healthy Hash Browns.
What Chicken To Use For Homemade KFC?
We used chicken breasts, not only to keep it lean but because we were serving it in a burger and didn’t want the bone in it. However, if you just want to use your hands and bite straight in to some chicken, then you could use wings, drumsticks or thighs.
Can You Cook This in the Air Fryer?
You can get this chicken even crispier than the oven by using an air fryer. Simply follow the recipe as below and then put it in your air fryer for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Gluten Free KFC
This homemade KFC is really easy to make gluten free, as most of the ingredients are gluten free already. Just use some gluten free breadcrumbs for the coating and you are good to go.
How To Make Healthy KFC
- Put the bread in to a food processor and blend to make breadcrumbs. Put in to a bowl with all the seasoning ingredients.
- Cut the chicken breast in half. Dip the chicken in the beaten egg and then in to the breadcrumb seasoning so it is fully coated and then repeat with the other piece.
- Put on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 200C for 35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Other Takeaway Alternative Recipes To Try:
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this, or any other recipe on the blog, then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipe ideas, behind the scenes shots and also what we are getting up to.
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
- 250 g Chicken breast
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 slices Whole wheat bread
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Mustard powder
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tsp Dried oregeno
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- Put the bread in a food processor and process until it becomes breadcrumbs. Put into a bowl with all the herbs and spices.
- Cut the chicken breast in half.
- Dip the chicken in the egg and then put into the bowl with the seasoned breadcrumbs. Stir until the chicken is completely covered.
- Put the coated chicken on a baking tray and put in a pre-heated oven at 220°C/400°F for 40 minutes. It may need longer, depending on the size of your chicken pieces.