Last updated on August 12th, 2019 at 01:01 pm
For a quick and easy chocolate fix that is lower in calories, try this super simple Chocolate Mug Cake. Healthier than most and totally delicious.
Just quickly, before you check out the recipe, if you want to be kept up to date on more delicious and healthy recipes like this, then please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds) and you will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed. Click here to sign up 🙂
Firstly, let me apologise for the photos. I have been working really hard on my food photography over the past few months, and these photos really don’t reflect that. But cake in a mug is really hard to take a photo of. It deflates as soon as you take it out of the microwave and leaves the rest of the mug covered in chocolate, which doesn’t make the best photos. But don’t let that put you off as you could be enjoying amazing healthier chocolate cake in under 3 minutes.
Microwave Mug Cake
One of the best things about this is that you can make it with things that you most likely already have in your kitchen. I came up with it by just throwing together what I already had, and it turned out really well.
We all get cravings for chocolate cake (come on, don’t tell me it is just me), but if we make or buy a whole one, then there is a lot left over after eating that one slice we were craving, which can lead to over eating. Enter the individual chocolate mug cake. You just make as much as you need, eat it and then it is gone and you don’t have the rest of the cake calling your name from the kitchen.
When I say healthy, I mean healthier. It isn’t made from pure protein and vegetables or anything, there is chocolate in it. But it doesn’t have all the butter and sugar that a regular chocolate cake would have in it. It is also healthier as I am giving you the ingredients to make individual cakes, rather than a whole one.
There is also a little surprise when you dive your spoon in, as by adding a tiny bit of chocolate to the mix, it melts and makes a molten middle. You can leave this out and it will lower the calories (to 170) and it still tastes great, but I like adding this bit for a treat. I always use good quality dark chocolate too.
What I love about this recipe too if that you can add so many different things into the mixture or on top of it when it is cooked that each time you make it you could have a different cake. I will add the variations at the bottom of the recipe.
Okay, enough of me talking, you want to make some chocolate cake right?
How to make this Chocolate Mug Cake – Serves 2:
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 6 tbsp ground oats
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp 0% Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- 6 tbsp almond milk (you could use any milk though)
- 20 g good quality dark chocolate cut into small chunks
- In a bowl, mix together everything but the dark chocolate and make sure everything is combined well.
- Divide half of the mixture between 2 mugs.
- Divide the chocolate chunks between the 2 mugs and then pour the rest of the cake mixture on top of the chocolate chunks, dividing it between the 2 mugs.
- Put each mug in the microwave separately for 2 minutes.
- To make the ground oats, simply put porridge oats in a food processor until a flour consistency.
- Additions to the mixture: orange rind or juice, coconut, chunks of cookie, cherries, ginger.
- Add on top: Nut butter or extra Greek yoghurt.
What other cakes or desserts would you like to see healthier versions of? Please leave a comment below 🙂