Wouldn’t it be great to enjoy a homemade beef burger, with all the trimmings, and know you are eating some vegetables too? Well, now you can with these Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers. They are great for fussy eaters that would rather eat burgers than vegetables, because this recipe is both, and they will never know!
We couldn’t get through National BBQ Week without sharing a burger recipe, could we! We have taken a classic beef burger, and added lots of shredded vegetables. But, because they are shredded and mixed in with the beef you would never know they are there, which is why we have called them Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers.
Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious recipes like these Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds). You will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed.
Click here to sign up.
If you are fairly new to the blog, then you might not know what we are all about. Well, nothing is off limits here and no foods are banned. Well, maybe swede. YUK! We love a burger (and the fries too) and although they are not an every day food, they are definitely part of our diet. We just find ways to make our favourite meals a little bit lighter, and ways to sneak some vegetables in to them too.
What vegetables can I use in beef burgers?
We have shredded up some carrot and courgette to add to the burger mince, but there are loads of other vegetables you could use instead. You could grate broccoli and cauliflower or even butternut squash and bell pepper. There are plenty of options depending on what vegetables you are trying to increase in your diet.
We are pretty lucky that Avery will eat almost everything and she loves vegetables. But, we know that as she gets older that is likely to change, so we are preparing ourselves with lots of recipes that have vegetables hidden in them. It doesn’t hurt for us to have some extra vegetables in our diet too.
What if I don’t like beef?
If you don’t eat beef, then you could hide the vegetables in chicken burgers, lamb burgers or even bean burgers.
**Tip – this recipe uses just half a courgette. Don’t throw the other half away, make our epic homemade tzatziki and put it in the burgers instead of mayo or ketchup.**
Do I have to cook the burgers on a BBQ?
Nope! You can cook these under the grill or fry them in a pan too. I think they are best when they have the charred taste of being cooked on the BBQ and food always tastes better when cooked and eaten outside, but you don’t have to. Cooking times will of course vary.
Ingredients needed to make these Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten (not shown below)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- Half a courgette, grated
- A handful of fresh herbs, finely chopped (use whatever you have that needs using up)
- Buns, lettuce, tomato and sauce to serve (not shown below)
How to make Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers – Step by Step.
One: Put the carrot, courgette and shallot in a large mixing bowl.
Two: Add the garlic, salt and pepper, egg, tomato puree and herbs.
Three: Add the beef and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
Four: Using your hands, form the mixture in to 4 burger patties and put in the fridge for 30 minutes before cooking.
What to serve with these Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers.
- Healthy Tomato Ketchup
- Healthy BBQ Sauce
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter
- Garlic Potato Wedges
- Baked Garlic Polenta Fries
- Baked Carrot Fries
Some extra tips for making these hidden vegetable beef burgers.
- You don’t have to make these as burgers. Instead of forming them in to burger patties, roll the mixture in to mini meatballs and bake in a tomato sauce.
- Mix up the flavours by adding in different herbs and spices. You could have Mexican burgers, Cajun, Italian – get creative.
- If you are trying to keep things low carb, swap the burger bun for a giant lettuce leaf for a low carb burger option.
If you’ve tried these Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipe ideas, behind the scenes shots and also what we are getting up to.
Don’t forget to rate the recipe ↓
Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers
- 500 g Lean beef mince
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 Large shallot, diced
- 1 Small carrot, grated
- 0.5 Courgette, grated
- 1 handful fresh herbs, finely chopped (use whatever you have that needs using up)
- Buns, lettuce, tomato and sauce to serve
- Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and use your hands to mix well.
- Using your hands, form the mixture in to 4 burger patties and put in the fridge for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Put your burger patties on to a hot BBQ grill and cook for 3 minutes one side and 6 minutes the other side for medium-well done.
- Stack your burgers by adding them to buns with lettuce, tomato and sauce.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.