Liven up chicken breasts with this Easy Italian Chicken. It features all your favourite Italian ingredients like tomatoes, olives, red wine, capers and basil, all mixed together in a beautiful sauce that brings baked chicken breasts to life. A great dish to feed a crowd, or for date night.
You can never have too many delicious chicken recipes, right? We eat chicken a lot as it’s easy and nutritious, but we often get stuck in a rut with how we eat it. This Italian Chicken recipe is our new favourite way to eat chicken breasts, as it has all our favourite Italian flavours and it’s cooked in one pan too.
Why should you try it?
✔ Under 300 calories a portion
✔ A new and easy way to use chicken breasts
✔ Easy to adapt and use up whatever vegetables you have
✔ Freezes well
What Is Italian Chicken?
Italian Chicken is pretty much what it says on the tin (or dish), it’s chicken with delicious Italian flavours. There is chicken breasts mixed with shallots, peppers, garlic, asparagus and courgette, covered in a simple sauce made of canned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, oregano and basil.
What Chicken To Use?
We used boneless and skinless chicken breasts to keep this dish as lean as possible, but you could use chicken thighs or legs instead. The cooking time could vary, and the nutritional values will change as well.
Chicken breasts can sometimes get a little dry, but this Italian Chicken is moist and juicy, so there is no need to worry about dry chicken here.
What Vegetables Can You Use?
We love a dish that is easy to adapt, and this is just that! No need to go out and buy new vegetables when you already have some in the fridge that need using.
You could add mushrooms, green beans, carrots, aubergine, broccoli, celery or leek in to this dish. Try to only use quick cooking vegetables, to keep this a quick and easy chicken dish.
What To Serve with Italian Chicken
You have lots of options when it comes to what to serve with Italian Chicken. When we want a light and low carb meal, we will just have a big green salad with this. But it also goes well with Garlic Baked Potato Wedges or Italian Parmesan Potatoes.
It is also a really good topping for spaghetti, mashed potato or rice, or just serve it with a big chunk of crusty bread to mop up all the sauce.
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
Make this dish even easier by cooking it in the slow cooker. Simply put all the ingredients in to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 7 hours.
How To Store and Reheat Italian Chicken
This chicken dish will keep in the fridge for 2 days, or you can freeze it for up to 2 months. To reheat, make sure that it is thoroughly defrosted and then heat through in a pan with a little oil.
- Pound the chicken breasts first, as this makes them a little thinner and they cook a bit quicker and more evenly.
- Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge. Try to only use quick cooking vegetables.
- Add some extra greens by stirring in some spinach about 5 minutes before it is ready.
- Add a little sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top at the end to make this an extra special chicken dish.
- Serve with homemade potato wedges, on top or spaghetti, mashed potato or rice or just with some crusty bread
- This dish will stay fresh in the fridge for 2 days, or in the freezer for 2 months.
How To Make Italian Chicken – step by step:
Want to try some other chicken recipes? How about these:
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this Italian Chicken or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 600 g chicken breasts halved
- 8 shallots diced
- 1 courgette (zucchini) diced
- 8 asparagus spears cut in to chunks
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and then add the chicken. Cook for 7 minutes, turning every couple of minutes. Take the chicken out and put to one side.
- Add to the pan the shallots, courgette, asparagus and cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Put the chicken and vegetables into a oven dish with all the other ingredients and stir well. Cook in a preheated oven at 200C/390F for 30 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked through.