Last updated on August 12th, 2019 at 01:21 pm
Make your dinner table an Italian feast with this simple and tasty Italian Chicken recipe. Perfect for weeknight dinners and entertaining.
If you want to be kept up to date on more delicious and healthy recipes like this, then please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds) and you will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed. Click here to sign up :)
My Italian cooking doesn’t stretch much further than a pizza or pasta dish usually, so I thought it was time that I would change that and this is how I came up with this Italian chicken. It is another pretty much throw in whatever you have on hand and add some Italian flavours.
Chicken breast is a healthy source of protein if you eat meat, so I am going to be coming up with lots of new healthy ways to make it more interesting. As I know everyone gets bored with plain chicken breast after a while.
Don’t feel like you have to follow recipes exactly. Cooking is about experimenting, changing things to suit your tastes and if you are on a budget, then using what you have leftover or what is on offer is a must. If a recipe calls for asparagus, but all you have is green beans, then make the swap. It is not going to change the meal a whole lot, but it saves you buying more vegetables and wasting the ones you already have.
You can eat this dish on its own, or it is really good on top of spaghetti, brown rice or couscous. It also makes great leftovers and it freezes well too, so make extra portions and put in them in the freezer so you have healthy meals all ready for you.
If you want to cook this in the slow cooker, then just add all the ingredients and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
How to make this Italian Chicken recipe – Serves 4:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 600 g chicken breasts halved
- 8 shallots diced
- 1 courgette (zucchini) diced
- 8 asparagus spears cut in to chunks
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and then add the chicken. Cook for 7 minutes, turning every couple of minutes. Take the chicken out and put to one side.
- Add to the pan the shallots, courgette, asparagus and cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Put the chicken and vegetables into a oven dish with all the other ingredients and stir well. Cook in a preheated oven at 200C/390F for 30 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked through.
What Italian dish would you like a healthier version of? Leave a comment below and the recipe might appear on the blog soon.